How much exercise should I be doing each day and how can I fit it in? Ray, 62.
Thanks Ray for this question which was asked in your consultation with me last week.
The American College of Sports Medicine has released new guidelines that recommend 150 minutes of cardiovascular exercise per week. You could break that down to 30 min sessions 5 times per week. If you can’t find a free 30 mins then it is fine to do short bursts of 5-10 mins each several times through the day. This is for the general person to maintain a fit and healthy lifestyle. Of course if you are trying to lose weight this is a great starting point but aim more towards 1 hour per day
Think you don’t have time..it all adds up! Some time savers include:
• Walk the stairs or escalator instead of taking the lift
• Fix up the garden
• Ditch your cleaner, turn the music up and get stuck into the housework
• Walk to the next bus stop or get off one stop early
• Get active with your family and go to the park with the dog instead of going out to lunch
• Jump on the exercise bike in front of the TV (multi task!)
• Park at the wrong end of the carpark and walk the rest
There’s just a few ideas to help you out but the options are endless. Just get started..and remember anything is better than nothing!
Was this insightful?
Thanks for your feedback!